Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Play With Me
















His toys are all scattered on the floor
“Play with me,” he called out.

“I’m too busy. I’ve got cupcakes
to bake and errands to run
I don’t have time for this nonsense,
Clean up son, we’ve got to go.”

After the groceries are bought
and art supplies picked up
we drive by a park and he shouts,
“Stop, let me play on the swings.”

“There’s no time, I’ve got things to do,
daddy will be home in a little while
there’s dinner to fix, and laundry to wash
maybe tomorrow we’ll play in the park.
I’ll read you a story when it gets dark.”

Night time comes with a rush, dishes to
wash and programs to watch, “Just give me
a kiss and take your bath
be a good boy then climb into bed.”

In the quiet evening guilt settles in
I can’t sleep and go take a peek
to watch him lie so silently.
Why didn’t I take time to play?
Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment