Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ordinary Days revised
















A storm of paper fluttered from the sky
with phrases like “Capture a moment of peace.”
“Look around to find true love.”

That rainbow of color: red, yellow, green, violet
should have evoked feelings of joy
but instead I cried…

The simple flyers fluttering from a rooftop
with actors on the sidewalk reaching up
catching those messages from above

Lots of excitement on the stage
some rushing to grasp a specific color
others snatching the closest page

Art in its truest form, created
and delivered to the intended audience
yet I cried…

Dwelling on the visceral image I recalled another scene
when paper fluttered from on high … it was September 11th.
planes crashed into the World Trade Center

Reams of paper like giant snowflakes fell,
littering the street, a feature almost unnoticed
because of the larger debris and carnage.

I didn’t know I remembered that detail until years later
when my tears fell while sitting in a dark theater
watching a musical comedy about ordinary days.

Ordinary Days, Music and Lyrics by Adam Gwon

No comments:

Post a Comment