Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Looking Twenty
















I liked turning twenty better than passing sixty.
although in my brain I’ve never changed
even though the face looking back at me
from mirrors and other reflected surfaces is not someone
I recognize or would even speak to if we were introduced

Spent the day sorting through old pictures
collected over three generations
grandparents with stoic faces forever frowning
after surviving the great depression
and the faces of my folks their eyes reflecting
the horror of the war powered with the memory
of an atomic bomb blowing the enemy to smithereens

Large families, home ownership, power to the people
all tossed aside when free love and lots of drugs
confused the basic structure of the family
people didn’t stay together,
many died or fried their brains with overdoses
got beat in Vietnam; a government financed conspiracy
left shame on the faces of my generation

Anti-war, pro abortion, where is the common sense
to promote civilization for future generations?
Women’s liberation opened the world for work
with equal pay, equal privilege,
My face shows fatigue, I’m too tired to protest anything

While my sons and daughters try to claim what was lost
wives stay at home to raise their children
but anxious that their marriages won’t last
how will they support themselves and their kids?
Their faces have a look of fear

Homes may be lost through foreclosure,
dire financial situation, is his job secure?
almost as bad as the great depression
grandson may be sent to Afghanistan
all life’s challenges are etched onto our faces

I’ve got an appointment with a plastic surgeon
said she can turn back the clock of time
and I can look twenty again
if I'm willing to pay the price -
the money put aside for my long term institution.

No comments:

Post a Comment