Monday, February 28, 2011

Pink Bonnet




















My earliest recollections are of my face
swollen and red from hours of crying
body tense and angry, throat sore 
dressed in a pink nightgown with a ruffled bonnet 
that tied under my chin,
Standing in a borrowed crib, every move
making the rusty springs squeak,

feet tangled in sheets, surrounded by darkness
and the male silhouette in the doorway
watching me cry and cry.

Aunt Josie finally pushed him aside
came into the room to lift me up
 “My goodness. Why are you making such a fuss.
 Do you need dry clothes or something to eat?
Let’s take this bonnet off, it’s too tight around your neck.
Shhhh, Mommy and Daddy will be home soon.”

I don’t know exactly what happened that night
but I never trusted my Uncle Leo after that
and my Aunt Josie became a safe haven.
I was especially glad when she divorced
him. I never had to see him again
even when he died, I didn’t go to his funeral
and have never been partial to wearing hats,
especially ruffled bonnets that tied under my chin.

No comments:

Post a Comment