Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Beach Cottage
















I tried to reach him several times
but when he didn’t answer
we drove out to see if he was okay

Bill crawled through an unlocked window,
a routine we thought we might use one day,
he opened the front door to let me in

and there lay my dad, silent and still.
The sun was setting so the room was dim
it smelled of cigarettes and his last fried meal

I called him then reached for his shoulder
but he didn’t respond to my voice or touch

His eyes were closed in sweet repose
lying at the foot of his bed,
still dressed from his morning stroll

I expected to cry but smiled instead
I felt happy he had a chance to live free
in a one room cottage a block from the sea

His days filled with sunshine and company
walking on the pier then stopping for coffee

I called the coroner and gathered the family
talked to the neighbors to get the full story
someone said they talked with him earlier

another ate with him at the corner cafe.
I used to drop by and he would always be
waiting for me, life was passing him by

but once he moved to his home by the sea
I had to make dates because he would be out
laughing and visiting with friends each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment