Friday, January 31, 2014

Secrets



Chapter 1

“Don’t let her know right away,” Jason whispered to Vera.

She snuggled closer to him and put her fingers to her lips. “Shhhh... but when do we break the news?” she asked stroking the side of his face.

“It’s complicated. She is fragile and I don’t want a scene,” he said sliding her hand away from his face and holding it against his chest.

“You’re hurting me,” she said pulling back. “What are you worried about Jason?” then got out of the bed. 

“Let me handle it,” he pleaded.

The light from the bedroom window made her long red hair look like fire on top of soft curves silhouetted in perfect symmetry.  “Your mom needs to know.”

“Let me introduce you first. When she knows it will be easier for her to accept that we’re a couple,” he pleaded.

“I don’t like keeping secrets. They have a funny way of getting out,” she said before she disappeared into the bathroom.

“You know I love you,” he shouted through the closed door.  All he heard was the sound of running water.

How had things gotten so difficult? Jason wondered. 

“I think we better get moving if we’re going to meet her for lunch.” Vera emerged already showered and dressed. She sat on the edge of the bed and leaned over and kissed him on the top of his head. “Don’t look so sad. It will be okay. I’ll do whatever your want.”

The cell phone rang. Vera picked it up from the bed stand, “Hello.””

“Hello is this Vera Fletcher?”

“Yes.”

I am Dr. Lawson, I hope I haven’t reached you at a bad time, but I have some news for you regarding your tests.  How soon can we meet?”

She looked at the time on the cell. It was 9:30 A.M. “Are you available in half an hour?”

“Perfect, I will see you then,” he said.

“That was the doctor. He has the results.  I’ll go see him while you get dressed and then I’ll meet you at 11:30 in front of the restaurant. Don’t be late.”

Vera grabbed her purse and walked out the door.

Jason felt uneasy seeing her leave. She had been suffering from an upset stomach and chronic fatigue. They thought it could be stress after all she had been through. “I should go with her,” he said out loud dragging himself from the bed and heading to the shower.

The cool water cleared his head of all his melancholy. Maybe it was too soon to get involved but he had been in love with Vera from the first time he saw her.  After she and Steven moved in Jason would make excuses to go outside to catch a glimpse of that fiery red hair when she left for work  in the morning.
Lisa, his wife was getting suspicious of his attention.

As couples they were friendly but never friends. They ran around in different circles. Vera and Steve were sophisticated and worked in the city while Jason and Lisa were artsy and worked from home and now Steve and Lisa were gone and he and Vera were a couple.

Jason felt a surge of uneasiness when he remembered they would be meeting his mother. Without further delay he finished showering and gathered up his things. Might as well face the dragon lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment