Sunday, February 16, 2014

Two Starts To A Story




To tell my story about Tomé, New Mexico I must tell about the environmental conditions that in winter produced snowstorms and torrential rains leaving deep scars permanently changing the fragile landscape while in summer a sweltering stage where dust devils twirled tumbleweeds across mosaics of curled red tiles. A land so flat I can look in every direction and see the occasional mesa and every small adobe houses built haphazardly along a maze of dirt pathways and irrigation ditches. When I see the splash of colors I can locate the vegetable garden of chili peppers, corn, beans, onions, and tomatoes.



To tell the story about my mother I must tell about Tomé, New Mexico where in winter snowstorms and torrential rains leave deep scars permanently changing the fragile landscape while in the summer dust devils appear on the sweltering stage to twirl tumbleweeds across mosaics of curled red tiles. The land is flat except for the occasional mesas and small adobe houses built haphazardly along a maze of dirt pathways and irrigation ditches. The splashes of color reveal the vegetable gardens of chili peppers, tomatoes, beans, onions, and corn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment