Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Nose Knows


















I take my world in visually
the ambient sound is not a symphony
but an irritant especially in music
if the notes are not right
but if I were a dog everything
would come filtered through my nose
the mysteries of the world revealed.

With a long sniff I could smell

p-mails left along the walkways,
fire hydrants, and trees,
messages only other dogs can read.

Dogs sniff out drugs,
cadavers and runaways
some say they can even smell disease
letting humans seek treatment
before serious harm is done.

I wonder what it would be like to have such a tool
a sense of smell so functional?

I can imagine in a doctor it would make him great,
in a chef she would be one of the best,
for a house exterminator he could save big bucks
finding the intruders and going straight for their nests,
any environmentalist, who had such a skill
could identify pollutants everywhere

letting her nose reveal what it knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment