Saturday, July 25, 2009

The One Left Behind

My sister-in-law is struggling with the loss of her husband. Here is a letter I imagine he would write to her if he could.

The One Left Behind

You said yes, and like that we were a couple
each survivors from failed marriages

We had resisted entanglements
making it on our own for years
and then just like that we were together

No promises made, you moved in with me
in a little while you were expecting one
and in a few years another son

You wanted more and asked for marriage so we did,
get married that is

The vows didn’t transform us, it didn’t legalize our love
The children didn’t change when they were legitimatized

Life went on and we were together for years
I wondered if I could live without you

it didn’t matter
I never found out
cancer took me by surprise

and now it is you who must survive.
Do not follow too quickly
stay and watch over our grown sons
rediscover who you are

You are alive
so you must endure
and when your life is through my darling

I will be here, waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment