Friday, July 10, 2009

You're Out!

You may want to try your own Chance Poem. Here are the 14 pairs of words I've selected at random:

exercise excuse, reverse riddance, lather leave, modify monster, sorrow speak, heartfelt helmet, pelvis pitiful, ferry file, hanging hatred, type umpire, increase indifferent, dullard echo, reflex reign, delay denial

This is my poem. I've used all the words but lather and increase.


You're Out!




The umpire shouted, “You’re out!”
I was in denial and tried to delay his call.
I made an excuse and refused to leave.
My reflex to exercise my heartfelt sorrow
prompted me to speak in such a way
to reverse his decision.

He wasn’t the type to buy into my pitiful
request to review his conclusion
and he growled at me with an intense hatred.
He said, "I will exercise the full capacity of my position
and your career on the team is hanging by a thread."

I turned and glared at that monster, then tossed my helmet.
I jerked my pelvis to exaggerate my behind
and with all the dignity of an offended queen,
I walked off the field.

My folks and I caught the next ferry home
determined to file a complaint
with the commissioner
saying good riddance to the game
and to the dullard, whose words,
still echo in my brain.

1 comment:

  1. Here's my attempt... I think I used all words except pelvis, umpire, and reflex.

    GRANDEUR

    It was a type of monster, quite indifferent to
    any dullard anxious to conquer its
    pitiful solitude in a feeble attempt
    to increase his stature and reign supreme.
    There’s no excuse to modify his plans.

    With heartfelt intentions, he puts
    on his helmet; getting ready for
    the attack, he decided to file outside
    and softly speak of this exercise
    of hatred for all that he’s been.

    His Mother’s eyes were swollen with sorrow
    as she asked him not to leave the
    comfort of who he is… her quivering words
    hanging in mid-air… waiting in denial.

    NO! He will not reverse his decision
    to say ‘good-riddance’ to his past! He
    worked himself into a lather for this day and
    he screamed that he wouldn’t delay a minute more.
    On the ferry to the mountain base, he could FEEL his echo.

    ReplyDelete