Thursday, July 16, 2009

Google Ads and Poetry

I thought it was a coincidence when I posted my poetry
I wrote about falling and then an ad for a lawyer popped up
a reference to termites brought a link to pest control
but then I found a site for contemporary poets
was surprised to find every poem linked to a service or product.

One poem titled Sadness opened with an ad for help with depression
Spelling came with a source for spelling worksheets
Siren Song sent me to love letters from great men

Shel Silverstein’s, Clooney the Clown, directed me to clown school
His shoes were too big and his hat was too small,
But he just wasn't, just wasn't funny at all.


There is something irreverent in these connections
Takes the art of poetry and makes it a commercial opportunity.
Is this a horrible offense or just good business sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment