Thursday, February 2, 2012

Screaming Sirens

















Every day I hear the sound
screaming along the roadway
most times it is far away

but sometimes it comes in close
One night I glanced outside the window
they were across the street

the neighbor's dryer had caught fire
burned the house and the dog
everyone else was safe outside.

guy next door,
he almost died

upon reflection it was his time to go
but serious intervention kept him alive
now he seems lost and doesn’t know what to do.

The siren sounds like a loud scream
to let everyone know rescue is on the way.
Watch for a roaring truck, a black and white sedan

or a fully equipped ambulance van.
Responders will risk life and limb to
put out a fire, capture the criminal,

or get the injured to a hospital
to save people's lives.
I pay taxes for this service

so why am I shocked
when I receive the bill
for duties performed and rendered?

No comments:

Post a Comment