Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Politician’s Victory

















I remember in my senior year of high school
a blond kid, named Conrad,

stood behind the podium and said,

“Vote for me.”

This was in contrast to Cathy, who was the popular one
who promised to articulate with the administration

to bring student concerns up for discussion

she would interface on our behalf and blah, blah, blah.

Steve approached the podium next

handsome and so sublime
he talked about change and how if elected
would make sure our every wish came true.

Speeches went on for a week
two of the candidates had so much to say
and Conrad, in his ill-fitting suit

brought the house down
with his three words,

“Vote for me.”

The freshman class was the largest one

all marked their ballots early
sophomores did the same

and between the two gave a majority
to the candidate who made them laugh
his message simple and to the point.

When all the votes were counted, Cathy came in last.
Steve was second and by default the Vice-President
while Conrad came out the winner of the greatest victory ever
with a simple, direct request…

“Vote for me.”

The memory was evoked when I got word that
Conrad died in hospice last week and Steve
underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor.
Cathy hasn't been heard from since she was thirty.
Promise of youth all gone too quickly. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment