Friday, February 10, 2012

Genetic Building Blocks


















I look at my face and see my father’s nose
my mother’s eyes those same eyes I see
looking back at me from some of my grandchildren.

I recognize their hands and feet
and those that are not familiar I see
genetic markers from the in-laws.

Like a deck of cards shuffled and dealt
each individual their own combination
from the ancestors before them

a mixture of British and Irish,
Spanish and Puebla
German, Jew and Moor.

A vegetable stew
with flavors blending unique mixes
to form distinctive personalities

seeped in genetic recipes
expressing desires from dreamscapes
to form addictive behavior or a need to lead.

Their intelligence or artistic abilities
are like the aroma of garlic and onion
making our children strangers

yet when we look backwards
we can see everything
in genetic memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment