Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Place To Exercise

















When I was young exercise was not a question
because every day was filled with lots of activity
running from here to there, chasing my siblings everywhere

walking to school, riding the bike to the store
washing the clothes and all those other chores.

As a mother of two the same held true
tending and fussing after their needs
taking them camping, going for long bike rides
days buzzed past everything went fast.

When I returned to get my degree I walked a mile
to save parking fees, ran up to the seventh floor
because the elevator was too slow.

At work there was recess duty and field trips
coaching the baseball and basketball teams
but after a simple accident and knee injury
I slowed down oh so subtly

with the new pool there were frequent laps
pool parties and house cleaning
even long bike rides along the river bed
all the way to the beach

but a new interest took me inside the walls
where hours became minutes working on video
from video to computer screens

days passed with very little movement
my belly became protruded and round
my knee ached more from the inactivity

then there was the Master’s degree
so many papers to write
a curriculum position in the district office

hunched over grant deadlines
five pounds, then ten, fifty and more
arthritis set in and pain a constant companion

long walks became impossible
even a bike ride was not a pleasant affair
the big screen TV with cable channels

filled the time with fantasy adventures
and I lived quite happy in the altered reality
diets didn’t seem to work anymore

as pleasure became fewer
food was the alternative
but today, the first weekend after the new year

I have resolved to turn that around
we went out and bought a therapeutic spa
to provide warm water to exercise in

with scientifically placed jets
to massage the sore spots
it will be delivered on Monday

and hopefully the purchase
can help turn back the clock
to exercise without the pull of gravity.

No comments:

Post a Comment