Sunday, January 1, 2012

First Day Of The Year

















On the first day of the year I woke up by 5:00
the fog outside so thick I couldn’t see

across the street
husband sleeping soundly in bed

dog climbed in when I got out.
Finished the last of Prime Suspect,

a movie I fell asleep on the night before,
then SNL with Jimmy Fallon

all reruns then got up to play angry birds.
The noise woke my husband and the dog.

We fixed cinnamon bun waffles,
they were awful,

officially the worst meal of the year
things better improve or all we fear,

of the world coming to an end, may come true.
We’ll write our new year’s resolutions

go to a movie, have steak on the grill
fall into routines established year’s before

maybe this is the year to travel to Africa
publish that book and sell my art.

All is possible in the wee hours
on the first day of the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment