Friday, September 9, 2011

House of Cards

















As a child I used to play
with a deck of cards one
carefully balanced on the other.
An errant breeze could topple them
but with controlled breathing
and a steady hand, I positioned one
then another to build mine
taller than my brother's.

So much like my life today
one thing is dependent on the other
a misstep and all my work
undone. When I was a child it was easy
to pick up the cards and start again
but now as adult I’m tired,
who needs a house of cards anyway?

With foreclosure and bankruptcy
unemployment and false democracy
I’m looking for a handout
or a kick in the butt,
something to motivate me
to get moving again.

I think I’ll pursue my fantasy
enter the realm of comedy
get a laugh for all my troubles
find a different purpose in life
rather than just pretending
everything will be okay again.

I’ll stop creating façades
creating perfect teeth, perfect skin,
perfect body, perfect life,
seeking approval from those I don’t know.
I stand before you with all my faults
to make you laugh.

If you’re lucky you might see
yourself in my imperfect world
going through the motions
maybe the only reason
we were born is to help each other
laugh and somehow to get along.

No comments:

Post a Comment