Monday, September 19, 2011

Broken Angel’s Wings

















Today I broke an angel’s wing
I heard it shatter
on impact, shards scattered
all over the floor, his left wing

sliced to the core, and all that remains
gold flecks and white plaster.
I didn’t mean to,
I got distracted,
too impatient with another.

Acted too erratically and the result
... I broke Michael’s wing.
I’ll try to super glue it
but I don’t expect to be successful,
where do I put a statue with a broken wing?

He was given to me in a time of crisis
a symbol … a protector
when times were tough,
the archangel who forced
Lucifer into hell.

It's my mistake, I broke his wing
remind me to be patient with others
there is no need to become angry
what makes it twice as bad,
I also broke the wing of a dove.

Innocence smashed on impact.
I didn’t do it on purpose.
There’s got to be a way to make it whole
super, Elmer’s, or porcelain glue
one of those has got to work.

The cracks will never disappear
though years will pass, if it should hold.
I’ll have to explain the break to my
children's children reminding them
to be patient and to forgive others

because if they don’t,
they could break an angel’s wing
just like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment