Friday, July 22, 2011

Politically Correct

















“I’m tired of being politically correct,”
she said, “and tired of holding my tongue
for those who don’t look like me.
I’m tired of being asked to feel guilt
for the indigenous who lost their land,
they’ve got to get over it,” she said with a smirk
daring me to counter her words
which I’ve done so many times before
but I let her prattle on realizing her voice
was the death rattle of a race who once
dominated the world
but today they are a minority
and all the wealth they once held
will not be available to their children
or their grandchildren
and the hateful, selfish attitudes
they cultivated will not serve them
or their future generations
and her offspring will be the scavengers
trying to scrape out a living
among those she once despised
seeking compassion and charity
from the ones she kept marginalized
I guess turnaround is fair play
power has shifted several
times in history
I've heard it said, "might gives power"
yet in scripture it’s "the meek
who shall inherit the earth."
Numbers matter and if a people have
obliterated themselves through
their traditions and laws:
boy preference,
or limited families,
the consequence will be theirs
and they must learn to rally forth
to reclaim their power
or learn to endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment