Monday, May 9, 2011

I Forgive You

















Dear Mother,

I forgive you for dying too young
for leaving before your youngest
graduated from high school
and the female twin,
pregnant with her second child,
had to give birth without you.

I forgive you for abandoning
your two youngest boys
before they had a chance to push away
and return better men.

Dad tried hard to carry on
but his grief couldn’t hold us together,
too wounded and adrift in his sorrow,
the family floated without it’s anchor.

Those who could save themselves
left the others behind.

Last night I had a dream about you
playing in the ocean with dad
and three of your sons, all of them
gone too young. Much to my surprise

my daughter-in-law said she also dreams of you.
watching her two babies who died
before they were born. My son said he likes
knowing they frolic with you along heaven’s shoreline.

No comments:

Post a Comment