Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Leaving Heaven

















Last night I had a dream about a woman
who died after 111 years of living.
She invited me to go with her to heaven.

“Is there anyone you want to take along?”
I pointed to a frail young woman
with a broken heart and two invalid kids,
“They've suffered enough let them come with us.”

While we were on our ascent
the young woman pleaded to let them go.
“There’s too much of life we haven’t lived,
too many things we still want to do.”

I released them and they peeled away
like cellophane from an unopened
package and returned to earth
leaving heaven for another day.

The elder woman led me along
the clouds to peer over the edge
as we gazed upon the world she said,

“I think you’re premature to let it go, even
at your age there are new areas to explore
and important work still to do."

I smiled at her then took a swan dive
off the rim and dove back to my home.
I awoke feeling rested
with a renewed sense of purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment