Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Purple Tube of Paint

















“You need purple,” the teacher said.
“Don’t just mix blue and red,
get something you can lighten and darken
to maximize the value potential.”

So I went to the art store
and spent $48 dollars on a tube of paint.

Is my student potential worth an investment
of this kind? If someone were to buy
my work and startled by my asking price

I would have to show them my receipts
for the costs of: brushes, canvases,
mediums and a long itemized list
with the high price of paints

also include - the many classes
needed to get to this level...
still amateur in so many ways.

I’ve learned to capture sunlight
and shadow. Line and negative space
also part of my repertoire.
I can even balance compositions
to establish a clear focus.

The instructor assured me,
practice is key to every
breakthrough but right now
I must buy a tube of purple paint.

Does he realize it will cost me
fifty dollars? Is purple really
worth that asking price?

No comments:

Post a Comment