Saturday, March 19, 2011

First Communion

























Mother scolded me for having bruises
up and down each leg, “Couldn’t you have played
more carefully? They look terrible under
your pretty white dress. What will people think?”

The lacey ruffles made my skin itch
white leather sandals pinched my feet
the communion veil wouldn’t stay on my head
and all the bobby pins made my scalp ache.

I glanced over at my brother Joseph
he was dressed up in a little black suit
The younger kids teased us and said, "You're
getting married!" Mother told them to get away.

The church was hot in Albuquerque that May
we were packed ten to a pew with thirty girls
sitting across the aisle from thirty boys
all about seven years old, I was only six
but knew my prayers and was taller than most.

Mass took longer than usual, Bobby fainted
and hit his head, got blood all over his shirt,
the rest of us wondered who would be next
since we hadn’t eaten since yesterday at six.

The ceremony was done and we headed home
relatives arrived and gave us some gifts
another rosary, a prayer book, and a ten dollar bill
I put the money into my little white purse

took it with me to school on Monday
showed it to my teacher and told her
about my First Holy Communion, but by 3:00 P.M.
when it was time to go, I left it inside my desk.

I asked Miss Smiley about it on Tuesday
she sent me to the office to the lost and found,
but that was the last of my ten dollar gift
in the little white purse with the long shoulder strap.

I thought my teacher took it for her kids
or for that new scarf around her neck
but there was no way to prove it
so I never said anything until today.

Happy Birthday Joseph -
He would have been 64.

No comments:

Post a Comment