Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Paper Maché

















It was a simple art project
wrapping my grandmother’s antique bowl
with tin foil and masking tape
than carefully cutting it out
and reassembling it with strips of newsprint
dipped in flour and water

The whole process took less than an hour
I set it out to dry for a day or two
taking yarn dipping it in glue to shape the
patterns of flowers and leaves
recreating nana’s bowl in paper maché

After it was painted I set it on the counter
to hold the fruit I made with flour and water
no one was fooled by my creative mess
it collected dust and then was tossed

unlike the antique bowl which was stored away
brought out for special days and finally
given to my granddaughter at her wedding shower.

The cut crystal
was over a hundred years old
what was the difference in artistry?

One was saved and remembered
the other a piece of recycled junk
buried in a landfill and quickly forgotten
except for me recalling that day
when I tried to capture crystal in paper maché.

No comments:

Post a Comment