Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Day’s Work
















The alarm goes off too early

a high pitched whine

of electronic gadgetry

followed by the dulcet tones

of the radio announcer

the second alarm goes off

before I can incorporate

his words into my dream.

These habits mark the work week:

turn on the coffee, get the newspaper

read the headlines and the comic section

eat breakfast, pack a lunch

then disappear down the hallway

brush my teeth, shave, shower, comb my hair

put on my clothes, grab my briefcase

then out the door by 7:00A.M.

Traffic, gossip, list of things to complete

some days go by quickly but most days

drag like a hundred weights

for which I receive a salary until the work is done

I return home to begin the routine all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment