Monday, July 19, 2010

The Magic Wand

















I met her one afternoon
dressed in taffeta and lace
her hair hung down her back

in cascading ringlets of gold.
Glitter on her cheeks promised magic
and she didn’t disappoint.

She enchanted me with her words,
and like a magic carpet,
took me to places faraway

where I tangled with forces of darkness
and in this altered state learned
the difference between good and evil

waving her wand she saved me
through an intercession of light
before her tale was done.

She started to walk away but turned
to give me her magical baton.
I put this treasure in a secret place

wrapped in silk, locked in a box
and didn’t think about it for years
but one day I found the enchanted gift

behind several items in the garage.
When I opened it I remembered the magic
picked up the wand and started to tell

the stories this woman told so long ago
and like magic carpets,
they transported listeners to places far away

where they battled forces of darkness
learned to harness the magic of light
to intervene it time.

No comments:

Post a Comment