Saturday, June 16, 2012

A New Home



I see him in the kennel and smile
he will grow big, a perfect pal for a man
yet his demeanor is gentle and mild

with 
sad golden brown eyes, make me cry
and his fur a reddish blond like cinnamon
when I stroke him he evokes a smile.

I arrange the deal with a sigh,
put on his leash and he licks my hand,
lead him outdoors where the weather is mild.

He lets out a whimper, however slight,
I open the car door and he withstands
my efforts to get him inside the car, I smile

and talk to him about his new life
cut off the old collar held with a plastic band
and whisper encouragement soothing and mild.

I don’t have to do it twice
he knows what I want and without a glance
jumps in the car and I smile.

He hangs his head 
out to take in the sights 
seems to enjoy the ride, a leisurely jaunt
through city streets, temperate and mild.

We arrive home he lets out a sigh
I guide him inside with my free hand
my husband sees him and smiles
a quick friendship tender and mild. 



The poem is a Villanelle  following
a specific rhyming pattern 
and repetition of words 

No comments:

Post a Comment