Friday, June 3, 2011

Imitation or Inspiration?

















I was asked to look at a Master
to copy one of their works of art
mixing colors to the right hue
with enough value change
to create shadow and light
and in this realm try to master
the master’s genius and improve
my own skill in the process.

That’s one line of thought
and I’m sure it has worth
but as an artist I feel
like I’m being forced into a box
and told to breathe through the same
air holes of one who breathed there before.
I’d rather not if you don’t mind.

I’d rather use the Master’s work
for inspiration and try to feel
what the master felt as he or she
selected color and arranged objects
to tell a story to express
his view of the world
to create a thing of beauty
or provocation, to last forever.

If all I do is copy then I may as well
climb into the grave with the Master
and die along side one
who has had their day.
I’d rather be inspired
than expired
if you don’t mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment