Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Flu Vaccination
















“Be still,” the doctor said,
“it stings for only a second."

The sharp prick of the hypodermic needle,
a swish, then the vaccine implanted.

“Ouch,” is all I said, the sweet pleasure of pain
evident in my pupils, slightly dilated.

A heavy sigh then it was over.

My body will not be ravaged with aches and fever,
no loss of work, or time out from every day living,
five minutes in the doctor’s office and my
future changed, I am now protected.

Yesterday’s news told of deaths,
children in their prime falling without warning,
gone before moms had time to worry.

The only music heard coming from upstairs -
a radio blaring but it didn’t mask the sound
of a young mother wailing.

I think it is sad but no longer my fear,
for I’ve been vaccinated
against the flu this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment