Sunday, October 11, 2009

First Night Alone After Marriage
















Darkness settled around the house
rustling leaves forced me to the window
searching for shadows of peeping toms,
or sneaky burglars who could tie me down.

Nothing stirring but the winter wind
decided to take a bath, when I heard a rumble,
saw a flash, then pellets of hail,
like pebbles thrown on frozen glass.

I screamed and started to cry, couldn’t bathe
so I drained the tub and crawled into bed
fully clothed, leaving the light on in the kitchen,
keys in my hand in case I needed to run.

The midnight quiet broken by the sound of feet
someone shuffling through the leaves and
knocking at the back door again and again.

No one was ever there but
the noises continued all night long.

Next morning the neighbors talked
about squirrels playing tag in the trees
and running through the trailer park.

Next time my husband has to work at night
I will be staying at my mother's.

No comments:

Post a Comment