Sunday, August 9, 2009

My Prince Will Come

I found a castle looming on the edge of a cliff
gray walls with roughly hewn doors
bolted shut. No one answered when I knocked

so I lingered in the tall trees
watched the birds flit through the grass

listened to their chatter while I sat
outside waiting for what?
I hummed a childish tune
gazed at water splashing off the rocks,

an easterly breeze caressed my face,
a sparkling stream soothed my feet
the gentle ripple helped pass the time
outside the palace barricade.

I noticed a long narrow slit
at the highest point of the smallest tower
with a rope of yellow hair
tumbling from the window in that turret.

A young handsome man
caught the interwoven tresses
then proceeded to climb hand over hand
up the edifice, to the opening near the top.

He entered the casement and was gone.

I heard music playing from within
a hearty laugh, a squeal, a scream
the blur of color as they chased each other
their laughter rippled through the air
then quiet, for the longest time.

The cord from the window now held two
who climbed out that isolated parapet.
The man I recognize from before
the second one, a woman, with short cropped hair
touched the ground then disappeared into the forest.

I walked to the space where the limp braid
hung, then pulled myself up

to the window high above and stepped in
to a charming room perfect for a princess.
I decided to stay awhile and wait

for my prince to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment