Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Challenges

I arrived early to my first watercolor class with enough time to maneuver my supplies up the stairway and to find the room. Other early birds and I slipped into easy conversation about class, their knowledge about the teacher and personal details about their own painting history. It was time for class but there was no sign of the instructor until a small cluster of people came out of the elevator. One was leading an elderly man by the arm, another managing a rolling suitcase full of supplies, a third one carrying a large black portfolio.

A small lean man, with wire rimmed classes said, "That's him."

I figured the instructor was the one dressed in blue denim shirt and jeans. He shuffled along the walkway. He fumbled with the keys until one of his helpers took them from him to unlock the classroom. From the hallway I could see the room flooded with lots of natural light from floor to ceiling windows.

In a flurry of activity, his helpers arranged pictures on the walls, filled containers with water, pulled out paints and brushes and arranged them on the long table, another set up a microphone and speakers. The rest of us entered then placed our own equipment on the many art tables around the room.

I loved the space but I wasn't sure about the teacher. He explained he had Parkinson disease so he needed a microphone to be heard, and his hands shook a little and sometimes a lot and he required plenty of tissue to wipe the drool that would occasionally drip from his mouth. I wanted to run but took a deep breath and looked around. He had several returning students, all of them there to support him and to offer help to anyone who needed it.

Several new students decided not to return… their loss. I chose to stay and so far have produced some amazing work for a novice painter. There is something about the teacher that makes watercolor seem simple compared to other challenges one might face in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment