Thursday, November 24, 2011

Two Women in The Kitchen

















I don’t know how my mother did it,
she pulled together a meal
from a few beans, chili and flour.

She didn’t need extra hands
except if there were kids around
then we had beans to clean

stir and add water while they boiled.
Roll the tortillas, flip them on the grill
wash the dishes, take out the trash.

Like a head chef in a fancy restaurant
she gave out the orders no questions,
no idle conversation, ‘cause company was coming.

Those days are gone
people don’t visit like they used to
my kitchen has become a solitary affair

everything set up for a single cook.
If a larger group gathers they bring food from home
low salt, vegan and other diets self-managed.

Lately there is another woman in my kitchen.
I’m displaced in my own home
she prattles around quite content

chopping, and slicing, and adding her spices
positions herself in the corner, close to the cabinets
with sink and stove within reach to cook up a feast

while I sit displaced at my own kitchen table.
I could demand my place and push her aside
but she wants to help and I’m learning to abide

reminiscent of older days
when it was quite common to have more
than two women in a kitchen.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Be grateful for blessings
and enjoy each other's company.

No comments:

Post a Comment