Sunday, November 13, 2011

I’m Lonely Without You

















I can see from your reflection
the confusion you feel

when you travel out of town.
We’ve been together for so long,

like lost children, we can’t live
without the other.
Even the dog lets out deep sighs.
Our home is disrupted when you’re gone.

I woke up several times
feeling you walk into the room

then reached out when I felt your weight
on the edge of the bed

called out your name
you were not there but
several miles away in a motel room.
Neither one of us slept while you were gone.
The next night was not much better

again the same routine. At 3:30
I heard your footsteps coming down the hall
felt your breath when you stood by the bed.

the weight of your body when you sat on the edge
but you were not there when I reached out to touch you.
You didn’t answer when I called out your name.

Everything is better now that you’ve returned.
I’m glad you're home 'cause I'm lonely without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment