Saturday, August 27, 2011

Stephen King Stories



















Stephen King has scared me
since I was a young adult,

cars coming to life
and mysterious happenings in the woods.

Normal looking towns
along the coast of Maine

throttled by those things
that cause my bed to shake at night

beings who are not what they seem
however normal in the light

the thin curtain that separates
life from death

is torn asunder by his
storytelling gift.

He creates horror to such a degree
it filters into my dreams

and completely terrifies me
but somehow gives me the tools

to deal with present day anxieties
and cope with the psychology

of grief, sadness, and fear,
because at least my reality

is more manageable
than the situations he imagines

and I am grateful to return
to the daily trials of my mundane life

still startled with the thump
just outside my window

and the scary sounds coming from
my neighbor’s garage at night

I don’t completely trust
the machines in my home

when I wake up screaming
from nightmares inspired by his writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment