Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Shadow in the Garden















Picture by Danny

Long after summer is gone
after the games in the yard are forgotten

his mind now filling with reading and writing
and new loyalties on the playground.

I can still see his shadow in the garden

where he played in the quiet places beside
the bougainvillea and the morning glory
his army men hidden underneath the leaves
ready to battle whatever threat he perceived.

I can hear his laughter and see the butterflies
scatter with his outline in quick pursuit.
Leaves on the hedges shake when his silhouette
prowls along the edges stalking imaginary prey.

For one fleeting moment I can see the flashes
of years disappear when his shadow appears
like a whisper among the flora stomping through
the foliage growing from toddler to teenager

and I running after him trying to capture
this elusive spirit and all I can do is follow

glad to see his shadow staying
to entertain me for a few minutes longer.















Picture by Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment