Friday, May 25, 2012

Old Folks



One day I looked around
and realized most of the people I associated with
were children and young teachers.

I was the wizen one funny, available, experienced
and like little birds, with their mouths wide open,
they gathered round for my words of wisdom
but when I left work I knew I would 
have to make friends with the old ones. 

I tried it for awhile, some tried to hang 
on to their youth pretending nothing had changed 
bragging about how age passed them over, 
the only one they fooled was themselves. 

Too bored to dwell in that conversation for long, 
found others who traveled the world, 
boasted about their many adventures
filled the space with days long ago only slightly
less interesting than the talking heads on T.V.
no chance to change the channel
shooting them was not an option
walking away was the only solution
choosing interesting programs on T.V.
painting, and writing poetry instead.

Lately I’ve been working
with people of no discernible age
completing projects with a deadline
whether it is preparation for an art show
or planting a garden to harvest
the merging of people from every age group
is far more inspiring that bragging sessions
where one person monopolizes the conversation
with their life exploits, however exaggerated
dealing with grief and the loss of a loved ones
or complaining about pain in their body
leaving me feeling sad and helpless.

I'd rather have humorous conversations with young children
whose perceptions of  life are somewhat distorted.
Years ago 
I met an eight years old girl,
who wanted to figure out the boys in her life.
I explained that boys are easy to understand
if she looked around the playground.

After our tour I asked her what she saw.
She said, “Boys seem to play games of chase
and like anything with a ball and a score.”
I assured her she was correct
and if she remembered those facts
boys were easy to figure out.
I met her as an adult
she recalled our conversation
saying those conclusions 
served her throughout her lifetime.

If only I can figure out the mystery of aging,
new terrain for so many,
Some saw their parents die young
others saw them grow old
still each of us must determine 
which route is best for us
downsizing or moving the family
 in together
sending grandma to a nursing home
or using a pillow to sit on her face
this whole business needs thinking over
and new models in place before the whole human race
tries to squeeze on to this earth and discovers
we can't all live here together.

No comments:

Post a Comment