Thursday, December 1, 2011

Introduction to Heaven

















As long as I can remember
I’ve known the inside of Catholic churches
years of prayers already layered in the adobe walls
pictures of stations painted on white washed plaster
wooden statues primitively carved
saints who help intercede to god above
the large wooden crucifix
the son of god who opened the gates of heaven

for sinners like me
a reward so great it couldn’t be denied
but retribution for the original sin
was my only way in
and gratitude for his ultimate sacrifice
a life of good works and long suffering
constantly working to be worthy
of a love so great... the life of his only son

but as I age I truly wonder
if heaven is worth all this anguish
I want to be like the grasshopper
in Aesop’s tale
to play the day away
and let fate cost what it may
for at least in the moment I played,
I have firsthand knowledge of pleasure

Wouldn’t it be better
to celebrate the almighty
by basking in his creation
rejoicing and giving praise
to his almighty power
by worshiping
with all his creatures
dancing at the harvest
howling at the moon
glorifying his name
every single day?

No comments:

Post a Comment