Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Which Path To Take?

















Many self-help and new-age gurus
suggest I can have things
the way I want them to be.

I’ve tried it and it doesn’t work
– like the “Monkey’s Paw”*
I may get what I want
but it comes distorted

love brings jealousy
wealth tempts thieves
power incites enemies

I grew up with wishful thinking
“Twinkle, twinkle little star…”
candles on my birthday cake

and at church I learned about miracles
with faith as big as a mustard seed
I could move mountains
but I guess my faith was never big enough

Miracles and wishes didn’t occur,
not in the timeline or form I imagined
so I learned to accept life as it came
rejoicing in happiness when it arrived
and dealing with grief whenever needed

I’ve learned that paths reveal themselves,
and what I require
is discovered along the way

Prayers for strength and patience have power
healing is in God’s hands, suffering its own reward
I know each step will take me where I need to be.



*“The Monkey's Paw" is a horror short story by author W. W. Jacobs

No comments:

Post a Comment