Monday, August 2, 2010

Monsoon In Pakistan
















A dam breaks in Iowa spilling flood waters
across the town, no one is killed so it didn’t
make the headlines, hidden on page three
beside the furniture sales.

A hurricane off the gulf is mentioned in the evening news.
Pictures of impending doom and fear that the oil spill
will spread its grimy goo
on every beach within a 100 mile radius.

When I think I can't bear anymore bad news
I hear about the monsoon in Pakistan
a thousand people lost in the rising floods
more expected to be found with receding waters.

Where is Noah in his ark of old?
Will everyone suffer some tragedy?
Is this a punishment from the god above?
Will no one be spared from a calamity?

The sun shines in my little bit of paradise
I forget about the world news
and enjoy the balmy day and quiet seas.
Bills sit unpaid in my dresser drawer

but for now I sit outside in my yard,
sip lemonade and remind myself I am
at least one who has been spared.

No comments:

Post a Comment