Monday, November 2, 2009

Making Friends

I wander around the playground
looking for someone to be with
but no one wants to play with me.
I stand alone under the big shade tree.

I look up to the sky and what do I see?
A big fluffy cloud in the shape of a bear.
I imagine he’s smiling down at me.

Another girl with brown curly hair asks me,
“What are you doing, can I play too?”
I point up to the sky

and to my delight
we make up stories
about the shapes we see.



















There are families of rabbits
a horse, and a mouse
a dog being chased by a fire breathing dragon.

Recess goes quickly and we promise
to meet at the same spot after lunch
and again next week.

Cloud watching gives way to other games
we meet after school and clearly remain
friends for the rest of fifth grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment