Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Jump Rope


It takes three people to do it right
two to turn
and one to jump.

"Jump," I hear them call out loud
I wait for the rope to slap the pavement
then lift both feet up into the air.

"Jump," they shout again and again
I skip, hop, wiggle, and twist
I don’t want my turn to stop.

"You missed," Sheri screams
throws down her end and runs to the middle
I pick up the rope and her turn begins

"Jump," we sing out in unison
but she misses her first chance
“Do over, you didn’t turn it right,” she cries.

Sara, doesn’t even argue,
she drops the rope and steps in place.
“Jump,” she says and then we chant:

“Officer, officer
do your duty
here comes Sara
the natural beauty
she can skip
she can hop
she can wiggle
until she stops.
one, two, three, four...”

No comments:

Post a Comment